The water industry is working with the Met Office to remind people to get their homes and business ready for the winter.
As water temperatures are falling fast, it is important to ensure you and your property are sufficiently wrapped up. Cold temperatures can cause water inside pipes to freeze, leading to bursts, floods and the potential to be without water for drinking, cooking and washing.
There are some simple steps that property owners can make to ensure they are ready for a cold winter:
- Wrap up pipes and water tanks with lagging
- Fix dripping taps – even something seemingly minor cause a frozen pipe
- Ensure you know where your stop tap is, and that you can turn it off
- Leave the heating on low if you go away
- Check that your boiler has been serviced
- If you need any work doing, use a WaterSafe accredited plumbing business
If you do face the unfortunate circumstance of a burst pipe, then turn off the water supply at the stop tap, allow all water through your taps to reduce the potential for flooding, then call a qualified plumber.
Water UK Communications
0207 344 1805