Occasional guidance note
The Chlorine User Group was formed by water companies in response to a meeting which had taken place between the HSE, Chemical Industries Association (CIA) and Water UK representatives. The HSE wanted confidence that chlorine usage was being managed within the water industry. The remit of the group was to establish a series of common areas where industry best practice could be developed. These are:
- Chemical delivery procedures
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Maintenance and Statutory inspections
- Leakage detection and emergency procedures
- Valves and Valve conditions
- Human Factors – including training.
The group took HSG 40 – Safe handling of Chlorine Drums and Cylinders as their guidance and worked through the various sections identifying issues and sharing good practice from all group members.