Tapping into growth: economic impact report
'Tapping into growth: economic impact of the water and sewerage sector in the UK', written for Water UK by Deloitte LLP, sets out the water industry is supporting jobs, services, infrastructure and overall growth in the UK.
Key points from the study
- The total economic impact of the sector in 2012/13 is estimated to be £15 billion.
- This activity supports 127,000 jobs directly or indirectly. This includes 4,000 construction jobs, 3,000 jobs in transport and 14,000 jobs in distribution.
- 4.5 billion on investing in assets including to tackle leakage, flooding, drought.
- In 2012/13, companies spent £5 billion on operating expenditure, including staff, services, power, chemicals etc.
- In 2012/13, the industry took on almost 200 apprentices in a wide range of roles.
- Well over £1 billion was spent on reducing the risk of sewer flooding.
- Overall, the cost on average to consumers for water and sewerage is around £1 a day.